The Declarer (Floyd McWilliams' Blog)

Friday, January 10, 2003


I just called up four friends to invite them over to my place tomorrow evening, and to do so I dialed four different area codes. (For the curious: 408, 415, 510, 650.) This is a measure of how many more area codes there are now -- when I moved to the Bay Area, 650 and 510 (and 925) were both 415; 408 would later split off its southern half as 831. But it also shows how the automobile liberates us. I am able to have frequent contact with friends who live 30 or 50 miles away because they can get in their cars and drive down here in an hour or less.

Some people complain about how the automobile leads to "suburban sprawl"; I guess they think it's immoral for me to have friends who live in different area codes.


0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home