The Declarer (Floyd McWilliams' Blog)

Wednesday, November 12, 2003


Colby Cosh linked to four pages of the worst hockey logos ever. This stuff is so funny it will induce seizures, so take care.

I was surprised at the number of professional, albeit minor league, hockey teams that were supported by cities I had never heard of. For example, the Brandon Wheat Kings. What is a Brandon? I guessed Nebraska, but actually Brandon is in Manitoba. It lies 120 miles west of Winnipeg and has a population of about 42,000.

Then there were the Johnstown Chiefs. Any guesses? I was wary of my guess of "New York," figuring I had conflated Johnstown with Jamestown. Johnstown is actually in Pennsylvania, between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg. Johnstown had 29,000 residents in 1990, but only 24,000 in 2000. I assume the residents were despondent over the inconsistent spelling of cities ending in "Burg/Burgh".

The Fayetteville Force: I remembered that Fayetteville is in Arkansas. It is in the northwest corner of the state and has 60,000 people.

Then there was the Kelowna Rockets. I could not even begin to guess where Kelowna was, and Googled my way to the town web page. There I discovered that Kelowna is "the largest city in British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley." What is the second largest city in the Okanagan Valley? Here are some quick facts about Kelowna:


  • Kelowna is home to 96,000 people.
  • Kelowna is well known for its hot summers and temperate winters.
  • The average daytime high during July and August is 27.40 C.
  • The average daytime high during December and January is -0.30 C. The average low is -7.70 C.


27.4 Celsius is 81.3 Fahrenheit. I guess you could own a pool. -7.7 Celsius is 18.1 Fahrenheit. I guess you could ... freeze your dick off.

Anyway, what's up with these Canadian city websites? The Kelowna website had none of this data on the front page and I had to search for it. The website for Brandon had no information on population at all, even through the search tool, so I gave up and Googled it.










0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home