The Declarer (Floyd McWilliams' Blog)

Friday, May 14, 2004


More Whining

Three of my pitchers started yesterday. Mark Redman of the A's pitched eight innings against the Tigers, giving up 3 earned runs, 13 walks and hits, and notiching 5 strikeouts. He got no "run support" and the A's, and Redman, lost.

Twins ace Johann Santana was brilliant, both because he pitched well and because he was clever enough to pitch against the Seattle Mariners. 7 innings, 0 ER, 8 walks + hits, 5 K's. In the eighth inning the Minnesota reliever who followed him got into a bases-loaded jam which was solved by the next reliever. (ESPN: "Santana (2-0) ... got help from Terry Mulholland, J.C. Romero and Joe Nathan to complete the eight-hitter." Yeah, and Winston Churchill got help winning World War II from George Patton and Marshal Petain.) The Mariners were scoreless while the Twins eked out a run. These non-Santana happenings resulted in Santana getting the win.

Toronto pitcher Miguel Batista was bad. Not overthrown-and-replaced-by-Castro bad, but still: 6 1/3 innings, 5 ER, 10 walks and hits, 6 strikeouts. Fortunately his teammates teed off against any Boston player who pitched, starting with Curt Schilling, and I got a second win.

I'm going to start a new statistic called the "slinny." Being slinny is kind of like being slender or skinny, but there are other factors involved. In 1987 when I ran 20 miles a week and weighed 150 pounds, I got a slinny. But by the time I was 30 I was near 170 pounds. Not a slinny. Now that I'm older and more sedentary, I'm up over 180 pounds. That's a slinny.

Does that make any sense? Well no, but then neither do "wins and losses."


0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home