The Declarer (Floyd McWilliams' Blog)

Monday, May 31, 2004


One of the many corollaries of Murphy's Law is that memorable sights occur only when one does not have a camera. Two weeks ago Sherry and I spent the weekend in Monterey. I did not have a mechanical way to record the interesting things I saw, so instead I shall describe them to you:


  • A bronze statue in our lovely bed and breakfast room of a knight on horseback, reared up and driving his lance into ... some kind of dragon-like animal about half his size. "I've heard that dragons are hard to kill. I'll practice on one of those mini-dragons."
  • A pickup truck whose cap contained four Siberian Huskies who peered adoringly out of a barred window.
  • Sea lions cavorting and fighting over rocks in the Monterey Bay off Pacific Grove.
  • A bench near said sea lions with an engraved dedication: "In memory of our granddaughter Polly Klass, 1981-1993." Other sins only speak; murder shrieks out.


0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home