The Declarer (Floyd McWilliams' Blog)

Wednesday, July 21, 2004


I was watching the A's - Mariners game, and in the top of the 10th inning Chavez and Dye got on base with no outs. Hatteberg bunted them over, and then Kielty hit a hard shot -- right to Justin Leone, who caught the ball and doubled up Chavvy.

I was en route to the computer to post a nasty screed on the Athletics Nation comment section about bunting, when I passed the kitchen TV that my wife was watching. "And the game is over," said the announcers. Bucky Jacobson, who is roughly 7 feet tall and 400 pounds, hit a home run to win the game.

This was the fan equivalent of staggering around after having been shot, not realizing that you are dead. But then I realized that Jacobson's home run came at a very convenient time. In fact I was very concerned by its timing.

Maybe I can get Kerry and McAuliffe to complain about it on my behalf.


1 comments

1 Comments:

Floyd,

Some day we will have to have a conversation about bunting.

In the long run, bunting is a net negative.
However, in specific situations, it can be effective.

suffice it to say that a line drive double play that happens at a bad time for your team does not prove one way or another the validity of a strategy.

By Blogger Micah, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Home