The Declarer (Floyd McWilliams' Blog)

Saturday, November 20, 2004


The Declarer: Consumer Services and Product Watch

I have owned a Cuisinart Grind & Brew Automatic Coffeemaker, model DGB-500, for about two years. Recently the drawer over the coffeepot, which holds the filter and contains the coffee after it is ground, has come loose during grinding. Today it popped loose enough to spill coffee all over my counter.

The Cuisinart was good enough while it lasted, but I have found grinding coffeemakers to be not worth all the cleaning that they require. The best system is what I had before I started buying these $100 coffeemakers: A simple grinder and a little Mr. Coffee maker.

At least the Cuisinart is not incompetent and indifferent, as is the Oil Changers on El Camino at the Sunnyvale-Mountain View border, near 85. A month ago my wife took our Subaru in for an oil change, and allowed them to change the transmission fluid. After this work was done we noticed that the car had little pickup and slipped gears when accelerating. We took the car into our dealer (Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City, whom I do recommend), and they told us that the car was very low on transmission fluid.

I contacted the manager at Oil Changers and he graciously condescended to pay for Carlsen to top off the fluid. Carlsen recommended a full flush, to remove any metal shavings that might have been introduced by parts scraping aganst each other in the absence of fluid, and of course I did this in the hope of avoiding expensive transmission repair.

The next day I went to Oil Changers and showed them the invoice for the work that I had done. The manager took it and said that he would send it to corporate headquarters, and of course that was the last I've heard of it. I don't know what burns me up more: That Oil Changers convinced my wife to perform an unnecessary service, and in doing so nearly wrecked my transmission; or that they thought weaselling out of a $300 repair job was more important than retaining a customer who had gone there every three months for several years.


2 comments

2 Comments:

Floyd, you pop into leoneforthird, attack my intelligence ("lamer, more out-of-it commentator"), and advertise this site?

Listen man, we're talking baseball, and you're talking cuisinart and oil changes.....apples and oranges pops.

You wonder why no comments have been posted here? Try advertising on some Homes&Garden Blog!

Nate The Great
http://leonetowaivers.blogspot.com/

By Blogger Jethro, at 2:34 PM  

I think we (the bloggers) have found a replacement proprietor (writer) for The Iraq War Was Wrong Blog.

By Blogger Floyd, at 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Home