The Declarer (Floyd McWilliams' Blog)

Wednesday, September 01, 2010


Just got done reading Ivanhoe. I bought the book in China in 2008 and read about the first 50 pages before giving up. A friend of mine owns a board game based on Ivanhoe, and when I played it at his party I kept mentioning how I had read the first 50 pages of the book. (Doing so did not help me win.)

Lately I've had a lot of time on my hands so I picked up the book and gave it a fresh start. Like Pride and Prejudice, it's slow going at first but once you are used to the 18th century literary style, the narrative begins to flow and the book becomes a great deal of fun.

An interesting bygone word: "sewer", as in, "I have already communicated my answer to your sewer." In medieval times a sewer was an important servant who provided hospitality to guests.


0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home