The Declarer (Floyd McWilliams' Blog)

Saturday, October 16, 2010


Two Months

I continue to gain strength in my right leg. I can now walk up stairs with only a little bit of extra effort, and going down stairs is getting easier too.

Tuesday I saw the surgeon for a followup visit. I like everything about my doctor and his office except for the waiting. There is always a 45 minute wait to see him, and that day was no different. Usually there is a further wait in a little examining room, then an exam by the nurse assistant, then a wait, then the doctor. Tuesday was different -- no nurse, just the surgeon. He examined my knee in the same manner and for the same length of time that you or I might judge a piece of fruit in the supermarket, then pronounced my knee very sound.

He asked if I was ready to start running! (I tried this, later, and the result was rather pathetic.) He also repeated his recommendation from the previous visit that I do hundreds of single-leg quarter squats per day. I tried those in his office and to my surprise was able to do a few. He also told me something I did not know -- I have suffered damage to the femur cartilege facing my kneecap, so I should avoid deep squats, as they slide the patella into the groove of the lower femur.

Two weeks ago my physical therapist reduced my home exercises from many exercises, three sets per day, to one set per day of the heaviest exercises and stretches. (I don't need flexibility so much now, just strength.) Now she wants me to go to the gym on days that I don't attend physical therapy.

Labels:



0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home