The Declarer (Floyd McWilliams' Blog)

Wednesday, July 06, 2011


Google executive Marissa Mayer says there are few women engineers because


girls are offered a narrow stereotype of what it means to be a “geek” -- something akin to the bespectacled loner who spends hours typing away at a screen.


But why girls, specifically? Is that stereotype really appealing to men? I mean when I was 15 years old, I was already a bespectacled loner. Was I supposed to have thought "all right! I can be like this for my entire adult life!"

I hear that girls need to be "inspired" by women in the computer field. Again, why does no one ever ask whether men need role models? I chose computers as a profession because I enjoyed playing with my Apple ][. The only computer scientists I had ever heard of were Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. And my reaction to them was not "Wozniak's a white dude with a strange name ... hey, I'm a white dude with a strange name too!"


0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home